When we were dating, he let me into a glimpse of his nerdom when he told me he plays this card game called Magic the Gathering occassionally. I thought, "oh, ok...no big deal". I thought a small box of cards, and a simple card game. Um no, not even close! First, it's a very complicated game of strategy. Second, the first time he showed me his stash, I couldn't believe how many he had....I mean thousands upon thousands of cards. Some were ugly and scary looking, others were goreous. All are quite valuable! {Like we could sale them and retire very nicely valuable!} When he told me that, I was like "Ummm, what? Really? from a card game?" Yes, people, it's true! Not only do nerds rule, but they also have valuable investments in wierd things like playing cards :-)
So, I couldn't resist any longer, and I married my nerd. Well, fast forward to 3yrs later, and he's still wearing his uuber nerdy shirts that I now buy for him :-) and convincing me to like about 85% of the Scify he likes, lol. But, he hasn't played his game since we moved out west because he can't find anyone to play for fun. He says the card shops play too seriously for him :p I know how much he loves it and wishes he could play more. In fact, his dream is to one day open his own card shop once we retire and settle one place. So, I give in to this nerdiness and get in touch with my inner nerd to help him organize his cards.
We started organizing these little card sized jewels a few weeks ago. The past 2 Saturdays we've organized these cards, and we still have enough for probably another 2 Saturdays. Now, if that isn't love, I don't know what is, lol :p He loves sharing this part of his life with me, all the friends he met along the way, the deployments he's gotten through by playing the game with the other guys, etc. I love that he loves sharing it with me!! So, I go through them with him {and let my love of organizing OCD-ness kick into high gear} just to be able to hang out with him. It meant a ton to me when he stopped playing World of Warcraft to spend more time with me...and this is my part of being able to share in our nerdiness and spend more time doing something he likes to do.
I have to say that these past 2 Saturdays we've organized the cards have been the most fun weekends we've had in a while. I actually look forward to this little ritual we have goin' on. It's way more fun than just staring at the tv because it's already too blazing hot in AZ to go outdoors. I've had fun getting back to "us" the way we were before the crazy married life began. We just get to slow down and laugh and be best friends which is a wonderful break from the super fast-paced weekdays.
So, yes, I'll be the first to admit that I LOVE my nerd......and he LOVES his nerdy wife too :-}
No comments:
Post a Comment