The Redhead, The Airman, The Mr. & Mrs.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Travel Day 2: Midland, TX to Las Cruces, NM

Yay..I can finally post some pictures! So, on day 2 we traveled from Midland, TX to Las Cruces, NM and saw SOOO many pretty sites; we even saw Mexico!

We started out mid-morning and started that way. It was really flat after Midland. In day 1 we saw fields of wind energy windmills, well in day 2 we saw fields of oil wells. It was funny because we would see gas for like $2.27, but the closer you got to the oil fields and even right next to oil refineries, the gas was like $2.65! How crazy is that?

After about Odessa, we started to see some mountains...huge mountains! Absolutely gorgeous! You could see them from waaaay off in the distance they were so big. A little before El Paso (or maybe after, I can't remember, haha), we stopped at a truck stop to get gas and walk Bella...well we got back in the truck just in time for a dust storm! It was crazy, you couldn't see anything; but it didn't last long.

El Paso was a huge city with crazy traffic. We saw some really pretty mountains there also. It was crazy because the city was super crowded, like a Mexican or Eurpean city with houses practically stacked on top of each other. In El Paso, we literally saw Mexico from the interstate overpass! It was cool (I've been there before, but it was just neat to see a huge Mexican flag flying right there beside us).

New Mexico wasn't far behind El Paso. That was gorgeous!! Sites like you see in the western movies like Lonesome Dove or Last of the Mohicans..fields with tall grass and huge rocky mountains in the background. It looked like I could just ride a horse at full blast, and you could just see in real life how it was when the Indians inhabited the area before the reservations. Jonathan said he's been all over the world and had never seen anything as beautiful.

I just couldn't get over the mountains the whole trip...I took up my memory card twice this day, haha! That's why I put the pictures in an online web album. Just click on the link and it'll take you to the album..and just leave a comment on here to let me know if you have any probs looking at the pics, but this link should work. I also took some videos, but the stupid blog thing isn't letting me post them today, so I'll try tomorrow.
http://picasaweb.google.com/greeneblog/Day2ToLasCrucesNM?authkey=mWIvcGEfT7U#

Bella did great the whole trip. She was so funny, and got into the routine of sleeping in her "house" while we were riding. Then when we stopped, she would pop her head out and stretch and get ready for a walk..now, that didn't always mean she would use the bathroom, but at least she got out. Then, when Jonathan started the truck up, she would hop back to the backseat and go back into her house. We had to just about force her to drink water, but she did good overall.

We got to Las Cruces around sunset, and it was really pretty in the sunset. And one thing, it was super windy and cooold; we nearly froze! We stayed in a Mariott Towne Home Suites, which I highly recommend because it was so nice. We were so exhausted, we fell right asleep. More on the trip to Tucson later!


No comments: