The Redhead, The Airman, The Mr. & Mrs.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Adventures in Sushi Making!

Jonathan has been wanting to make sushi for forever, so for Christmas I gave him a sushi making kit and tutorial book. We've been gone so much that we never got to try it; so this past weekend we decided to try to make some sushi for ourselves!


He looked up some beginner recipies and easy recipies online last week and gave me a list of things to get. So, Friday was the night we planned to do it, and I went shopping. Well, I went all over the world and back again finding all of the ingredients. Ok, so not really...only to three places, but doesn't the other sound better, lol :p The list included everything from avacado and green onions, cream cheese, wasabi and ginger, crab, salmon, & tuna, sesame seeds, bean sprouts & snow peas, seaweed sheets, different sauces, and other stuff.


I found most of the stuff at the Commissary (grocery store on base) since they have a lot of international food because of those who were stationed oversees and developed a liking to something and also a lot of international military who come for training or whatever. The only ingredient I couldn't find was Japanese mayonaise...I went to World Market (a super cool store if you have one in your area, you should go!) and no cigar, so they told me about a farmer's market type place in the warehouse district here. I was a little nervous about going because it was just a little place inside a warehouse, but actually it was a super cool store with tons and tons of asian food and food related items!


After all that running around, I got back too late to start the sushi; so we decided to do it Saturday night. It was so easy to do and took about 2hrs. to make...it took that long because we were learning how to do it along the way. We decided to make spicy tuna, cream cheese crab, sesame salmon, and teriakey shrimp. While Jonathan cooked the meats (yes we did cook them!!), I cut up the vegetables and mixed the ingredients together. Our rice cooker even cooked the rice perfectly sticky for the sushi, and boy was it sticky!! It stuck to everything! We put together a mixture of rice vinegar, salt, and sugar like the book said to make it not sooo sticky though.



We decided not to tackle making sushi rolls our first time, so we just made wraps because they're a lot easier. When it was finally all made we put it all out on the table and started making our wraps. We made waaayy too much for us (leftovers for at least 2-3 more meals), oops...oh well, and we should've heated the seaweed sheets a little because they were hard to bite into. Overall though, our sushi was delicious, and it was a lot cheaper than going out to a restaurant and ordering sushi. Next time, we'll tackle the sushi rolls :)

Here's a link to the pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/greeneblog/AdventuresInSushiMaking?authkey=Gv1sRgCMSsqsri6aaABg&feat=directlink

And bonus...some videos :)









Setting up the sushi on the table.

Jonathan teaching how to make a sushi wrap.

My goofy self making a sushi wrap.

No comments: